Last updated on February 18th, 2021
Written and Photographed by Lisa Cericola
Tomato salad with corn and basil uses both heirloom and cherry tomatoes, fresh corn, and basil to make the most of summer produce.
If it were up to me, tomato season would last year-round.
Although the homegrown tomatoes have been suffering, I’ve been able to supplement with some gorgeous local specimens from the greenmarkets this summer and still get my tomato fix.
If you’re lucky enough to get your hands on some heirloom tomatoes, you can still find late-season varieties from now until the end of September.
The best way to eat these beauties is simply, as in this tomato salad that features the best of summer produce.
I like to toss together fresh corn kernels, basil, shallots, and several kinds of tomatoes in a tangy red wine vinaigrette.
This combination ended up being a study in yellow, with a few Green Zebras for a little color contrast.
And if you can’t find tomatoes due to blight or a lack of farmers’ markets in your neck of the woods, try substituting peaches or yellow plums, or only using cherry tomatoes.
It’s not rocket science, but this tomato salad is a delicious way to hold on to summer before sweater weather hits.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ears of corn, shucked, and kernels removed from the cob
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 handful cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 4 basil leaves, julienned
- sea salt
Make the dressing:
- Stir the vinegar and lemon juice together in a small bowl until combined.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the salad:
- Divide the corn equally among 4 plates.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of each, then add the cherry tomatoes and shallots.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of each salad, then sprinkle with the basil and flaky sea salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate.